Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fried goodness

Once in college, I met a girl who professed a zealous devotion to eating only vegetables and fruits. Serious. While she probably was fudging the truth a bit, there is something to be said about some girls thinking they need to constantly project an image of eating super healthy and well, always eat super healthily (although a vegetable-only diet really is questionable on healthiness). Well, like what my 4th graders say, vegetable girl can suck it. Here are some new and old foods I've recently had the enormous pleasure of devouring.

Foods #1 and #2: Haagen Daz Baileys and Coffee
Food group: Ice Cream
Calorie count: who cares
Comments: While vanilla bean ice cream remains in a resolute position for first place, the combination of Haagen Daz Baileys and Coffee ice cream put up a remarkable fight. The caffeine is at a tolerable level, and the taste is supreme.

Food #3: Smokehouse burger
Food group: Big Burgers
Calorie count: ate it too fast to count
Comments: This one was really good. It had chicken, ham, bacon, onion rings, cheese, tomatoes and lettuce with BBQ sauce. It was a really good night.

Food #4: Funnel Cakes
Food Group: Carnival food
Calorie count: probably the same number as the temperature of the oil it was deep fried in. but then again, that is probably erring on the conservative side
Comments: Due to its rarity and only seasonal appearance, I think the funnel cake can trump foods 1 to 3. In eat-ability, it should also receive the highest stars in being a "sometime food." I'm a little biased toward funnel cakes because eating one stirs up memories of carnivals (hence its food group categorization), theme parks, city fairs, etc. Today, on a beach in Oceanside, I was lucky enough to come across this:

5 minutes later, lo and behold (well, not really, you all knew it was coming), the fried mess of artery clogging goodness:

Sprinkled lightly (or heavily) with powdered sugar and maybe some strawberries, funnel cakes are without question one of the best foods created.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

(Since you know me so well) you would know that I LOVE THIS ENTRY beyond words. Fried things...mmmmmf

Also loving that you've resurrected blogging recently!! I miss you t-face!