Thursday, May 21, 2009

tacos and sriracha sauce

America, and California to be specific, is a smorgasbord of ethnic enclaves, religions, lifestyles, historically significant crossroads, etc. While it's around us all the time, its commanding presence can at times fade, becoming the background music to the tune of our American lives. We wake up, get dressed, drive, go to work, eat, play, sleep. Set that on repeat. For this reason, it is an absolute delight when the background music makes a momentous comeback and however briefly, reminds us all of its powerful existence. Today, I was reminded of that through the channel of food.

It started with noticing an innocent article on sriracha sauce in the Times this morning. Fast forward to dinner this evening, where I decided to give this little rooster labeled red bottle (which has sat untouched at SO many impromptu pho noodle meals in the past) a try.

At first bite, I totally got the ratio of sauce per bite wrong. Read: I basically lit on fire and melted. But, after a short learning curve, it got better. A LOT better. My confidence (and liking) in this sauce grew to the point where it can be placed for serious consideration to be a part of my all-star sauce lineup: Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, honey mustard.

According to NYTimes, the maker/genius of this concoction pulled ingredients from all over to make this; not adhering strictly to one ethnic cuisine or another. And while primarily marketed for Asian communities, the bottle also says that it's tasty with hot dogs, hamburgers, pizza, and pasta.

Its stated versatility that was praised by the Times was pretty cool, and I guess a decent example of food representing the melting pot of cultures. But what sealed the deal in this sauce's like-ability is that apparently, the famous (and still presently mysterious to me) Los Angeles Kogi taco truck uses Sriracha sauce as the ONLY complementing condiment to their Korean taco menu.

This popular traveling taco truck parks itself in various busy street corners around Los Angeles. For me, eating their Korean short-rib taco is a non-negotiable must do before a year of Spam and yams in the South Pacific.

I've decided that paying homage to the taco truck is vital to my education of Los Angeles. Yes, for the tasty tacos. But beneath its crunchy shell and a quick scroll down, these tacos were also able to elicit some heated comments, some which fiercely defended our fusion lifestyle that at times goes unnoticed, or is taken for granted. From a $2 taco, we can be reminded of who we are, who we live with in the greater community, our identities as Americans with ancestors from elsewhere, how far we've come, and however corny, the amazing stuff we've been able to accomplish through inspiring each other.- like a highly acclaimed taco truck that makes short rib tacos.

I love California, and I can't wait to try this place out!

No comments: