Yesterday was June 17th. It was the closing of a 9 month chapter. It ended with ice cream, hugs, a final round of Around the World and Horse, a final parent meeting, a few thank yous, and a few goodbyes.
I guess I will miss my students after all. I know that even if I come back and visit, it won't be the same. Today as the last bell rang, each student came running to the snack area with a report card in hand. All had passed the 4th grade and were promoted to 5th. Their "4th gradeness" will soon fade into the memory of playground swings and monkey bars; soon they will take on new identities in their journey through life. Eventually, forgotten will be the incessant need for tattletelling and front/back cuts in line. Lost in the past will be the interest in telling scary stories and calling on spiritual bodies amongst avocado trees. Civilized as their manners emerge, hurt, and the intention to hurt, will be better covered with formality. While their raw honesty and sharp, unrefined words can cut like a sword, so can their compassion and love for life flood through gates of that elementary school.
Today, June 18th, marks the beginning of the next chapter.
No comments:
Post a Comment